Professional footballers spend most of their day at their clubs training facilities, but what do they do with the rest of their time? If you judge things by how much the superstars post on Instagram, they are actually quite busy!
We love social media – it’s a brilliant way of getting a unique insight into footballs biggest stars everyday life and lifestyle off the pitch. Because what do they get up to, when they are not busy training, playing in front of thousands of fans, or attending high profile press conferences? We have taken a look at which players have the biggest followings on Instagram – and while the top three probably surprises no one, there a few entries that make the cut on more than football merit…
- 1) Neymar Jr. Barcelona, @neymarjr, 15.5M
- 2) Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid, @cristiano, 12.4M
- 3) Lionel Messi, Barcelona, @leomessi, 10.2M
- 4) David Luiz, Paris Saint Germain, @davidluiz_4, 6.3M
- 5) Gareth Bale, Real Madrid, @garethbale11, 4.9M
- 6) Thiago Silva, Paris Saint Germain, @thiagosilva_33, 3.9M
- 7) Iker Casillas, Real Madrid, @ikercasillasoficial, 3.8M
- 8) Gerard Pigue, Barcelona, @3gerardpique, 2.7M
- 9) Cesc Fabregas, Chelsea, @cescf4bregas, 2.6M
- 10) Mario Götze, Bayern Munich, @gotzemario, 2.5M
Not a half bad line-up that, if you add the 11th most followed player on Instagram, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who narrowly missed out, you would have a pretty decent dream team. We especially like that the always cheerful David Luiz has such a large following, because The Geezer, as he has named himself, must be a good shout for the most entertaining footballer to follow.
We would also like to give an honourable mention to the most popular female footballer on Instagram. Although she only musters 729.000 followers, we simply had to include her, because everybody, including us, loves Alex Morgan.
It’s Neymar, Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi, who top our Instagram follower-list. Which players do you follow on Instagram and do have any good tips for players to follow? Share your thoughts with us in the box below, or on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.